Gnome for the Holidays

Thursday, November 21, 2013

I know Thanksgiving hasn't even passed yet but I still can’t help but make holiday cards over and over again. After all, Christmas is nearly around the corner. Before we know it, Thanksgiving will have come and gone and December 25th will be coming in faster than we realize. Especially if you’re a seller like me—getting holiday cards done in advance is the only way I’ll be able to send anything to my friends and family in the mail. Once orders start piling up I won’t have time to make cards at detailed as this.
This is actually my first circle card, and I learned how to make them by watching one of Lawn Fawn’s awesome videos on the subject. You can learn how to make it by watching this video (skip to minute 7:00 to learn how to make the shaped card). I've learned so many techniques from watching card making videos by Lawn Fawn, Simon Says Stamp, and many other amazing crafters out there in the YouTube world. If you’re interested in learning more card making techniques videos by your favorites card making artists will definitely help. To create this lovely card I used the following stamp sets by Lawn Fawn: Gnome sweet gnome, Let it snow, and Trim the tree.
I also used an embossing and distressing technique to create the blue sky in the background of this card. I've never been that great at working with distress inks but watching videos on how it’s done has given me the confidence to give it a try. I also did a lot of fussy cutting and paper piecing on this card—and that’s also something I've learned from watching YouTube videos. Before Lawn Fawn videos I had no idea what paper piecing was, hehe. I used a variety of Copic makers to color in the gnome and his cute little home. I also used my new wink of Stella glitter pen (in clear) on the snowy hills but the camera didn't do a great job of picking up on that (actually it’s probably my fault that you can’t see it, not the camera’s, haha). But in person the snowy hills shine so beautifully—this glitter pen is magical. To create the perfect circles I used some circle dies that I purchased from Michaels with a 50% off coupon but you can buy those at many online and local craft stores.
The distress inks I used to create the blue sky are: Peacock features, and Broken china. If you’re new to distressing you may want to watch some videos on how it’s done there are lots of awesome videos on the subject. I hope you loved my gnome Christmas card. I fell in love with this card right away and I’m seriously thinking of making many, many more to give to mail for the holidays. 

9 comments:

  1. A circle card is a fun idea! I've never seen that before!
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an adorable Christmas card! Shaped cards are so fun and I really like your sky background! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had lots of fun making the sky background with my distress ink.

      Delete
  3. This is so cute! Love the background!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am of course a big fan of the distress ink background! But mostly I love the bright colors in this one. Such a fun card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this card! The little mushroom house reminds me of the Smurfs. =0)

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |